Tuesday, February 22, 2011

barks






Barks were originally used for sounds of alarm. The barks does not tell us whether approacher is friendly or hostile. A dog may bark just as loudly when its owner approaches as when an intruder is breaking in. Once the approacher has been identified the dogs behavior may change. Dog may stop barking and start wagging its tail, or start growling and getting ready to attack.



Types of Bark






Barking in rapid strings of 3 or 4 with pauses in between with midrange pitch:



dog has sensed something is there but has not yet but is not yet identified or close enough to be a threat.



Rapid barking midrange pitch: Basic alarm bark, calling the pack to get ready for action because something is coming close.



Barking still continuous but a bit slower and lower pitch: Dog has sensed an imminent problem. "Intruder is close, hes not friendly get ready to defend yourself."



prolonged string of barks, with moderate to long intervals between each one:



"wuff" "wuff" is anybody there I am lonely and need love!



one or two sharp short barks of high or midrange pitch: means hello there and is usually followed by the typical greeting behavior.



Single, sharp short bark, lower midrange pitch: sound of threat or annoyance means stop that or backoff.



Single sharp short bark higher midrange pitch: surprise bark if repeated 2 or 3 times with short intervals in between it means come look at this!



Stutter Bark midrange pitch: "arr ruff" lets play



Growls:



soft low pitch comes from the chest: beware or backoff! Comes from a confident or dominate animal. If you hear this growl slowely back away.



soft growl not very low pitched seems to come more from the mouth: made by less confident animal means "stay away or keep your distance."



low pitched growl bark: I'm upset and I am ready to fight, but I may need some help over here.



higher midrange pitched growl bark: made by a dog that is not confident "I'm worried or frightened but I will defend myself"



undulated growl: fearful-aggressive sound made by a very unsure dog it means "Im terrified if you come near me I may fight or I may run."



noisy growl medium to higher pitched with teeth hidden: usually part of a play sequence means "This is a good game and I am having fun."






Howls, Yowls, and Baying



yip howl: I'm lonely



Howling: I am here or this is my territory



Bark howl: I am worried and alone why doesn't somebody come help me?



Baying: Follow me I have got a scent






Whines, Squeaks, or Whimpers



soft whimpering: means "I am hurt or I am scared"



moan or moan yodel: Means "I am excited or Lets go!"



single yelp: ouch!



series of yelps: I am hurting or I am really scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment